I suggest you ...

Host only free container format videos

Host only free container format videos like Matroska and Ogg Theora. AVI is pretty outdated, anyway.

77 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    AnonymousAnonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Admin →
    planned  ·  VODOAdminVODO (Admin, VODO) responded  · 

We will phase out Xvid shortly and are currently investigating moving to open formats only.

5 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • daviddavid commented  · 

Ogg/Theora performs pretty well on standard-definition content. Especially the latest theora 1.2-alpha "ptalarbvorm" comes with much improved encoding quality.

As Theora becomes suboptimal at higher resolutions, you'd want to go with WebM for HD content.

I think Vodo has some responsibility to raise awareness of patent-free codecs, as patented codecs are going to bite artists as soon as they're releasing commercially, to a greater audience.

• whirliwhirli commented  · 

Im not sure if its necessary to host _only_ free containers but maybe VODO should insist that the default download should always be in free containers. Maybe host those vile non-free containers as an optional download?

• hasanhasan commented  · 

it would be nice to see mkv and ogm available with as many videos as possible!

• DaVinceDaVince commented  · 

There are reasons to still use AVI, most notably many physical video players only support that format. AVI is fine to have as a last resort option.

• Marc HolmesMarc Holmes commented  · 

Why so drastic? why not just make converted version which use free formats?

Feedback and Knowledge Base